Information and Resources on the Benefits of Breastfeeding
Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding offers ideal nutrition.
- Breastfeeding aids digestion and immune system functioning.
- Breastfeeding provides the mother with a reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
- Breast milk is easy for a baby to digest.
- Breast milk does not need to be prepared.
- Breast milk is always available.
- Breast milk has growth factors that help to provide the positive development of a baby’s organs.
- Breastfeeding may result in lower rates of:
- Ear infections
- Pneumonia, wheezing, and bronchiolitis
- Other bacterial and viral infections, such as meningitis
- Research also suggests that breastfeeding may help to protect against obesity, diabetes, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and some cancers.